Sunday, August 30, 2009

Je ne parle pas Francais tres bein.

Yes, it's true, I'm going to be living in Paris for a few months, but I'm very remedial when it comes to speaking French (and have yet to figure out how to do the accents while typing on my keyboard), so I'm starting a French 101 class tomorrow. I'm not sure what I'm dreading more, realizing just how bad my French is, or feeling extremely old since I literally am old enough to be the mother of most, if not all, the students.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

But to celebrate, I thought I'd share a song that makes me think there's at least two New Zealanders out there who speak French as poorly as I do. Enjoy.

2 comments:

DL said...

Love it! So funny!.

And if you're using a mac, here's the easiest way to do the accents:
Alt+e then the letter for the upward accent:
é í
Alt+` then the letter for the downward accent:
è à
Alt+i then the letter for the other one:
î ô
And if you need it,
Alt+u then the letter for the dieresis:
ï ü
Etc. They work on most any letter, so just use whichever one you need.
Also: Alt+c for ç

You can also enable the French keyboard from your international settings, and then switch to it if you want to use the french keyboard layout, which is different from English. If you also enable the "keyboard viewer" then it will show you what each key will do, no matter what keyboard layout you are using.

Good Luck!
Bonne chance!

M-L said...

Let me know how your 101 experience is going! I love Foo da fa fa... my kids too!