Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Movie Night

One of the major reasons that I haven't been blogging much lately is my sister Angela has been in town and I've been too busy doing stuff in Paris to write about doing stuff in Paris.

Not a bad problem to have.

One of the very nice things she did for us while she was here was watch the boys so we could go out to a movie at a theater we had been eyeing by our apartment for some time. At first I kind of swore off going to movies in Paris, but when I saw La Pagode, I decided to change my mind. I love old time movie theaters and the magic they seem to hold, but this one has quite a history as well. It started as a fancy dance hall when it was built at the turn of the century, and then was transformed into a movie theater in the 1930's. And it even has a tea garden if you want to stop and relax before or after the film. And, of course, we got there early to take pictures.

The Pagoda at La Pagode as you enter the tea garden.

The facade. You can see why we had to come back to this place once we walked by it one day on the way home from the park.

Lions complete with cloisnné balls which are in amazingly great shape after a hundred years out in the weather.

Details, details. The French love details, and I love them for it. I doubt I'll ever go to another movie theater with antique stained glass windows.

I was pretty excited to see the interior after seeing the outside, but it was just a plain, old theater inside. For any old time Salt Lakers, it felt just like being in the old Blue Mouse Theater. I can only imagine what it looked like back in the day.

Oh yeah, and we saw The Ghost Writer. Not bad, but the movie definitely got second billing after the theater on this movie night.

0 comments: