Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Stuff Nightmares Are Made Of

The boys went to a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese yesterday and I had forgotten how absolutely frightening that place is. It might have just been my head cold I was dealing with, but everything seemed so freaky and distorted that I wondered why the kids didn't go running from the building. I mean, check it out:

The whole thing brought back memories of H.R. Pufnstuf, one of my favorite shows as a kid. I loved it, but looking back at it now it totally freaks me out. Let me take you on a little walk down memory lane to remind you just how nightmarish this show was.

First of all Witchiepoo. Super-freaky.

H.R. Pufnstuf and the good guys. Still freaky.

Even Jimmy and his flute. Totally freaky.

Did we like these things when we were kids, but did we just watch them, too horrified to turn off the TV? And why do the adults who make these shows go unpunished. It's a mystery for the ages.

I just want to apologize to my kids now for subjecting them to Chuck E. Cheese and hope there won't be too many therapy bills in their future.

2 comments:

Christian Asplund said...

i hate any b-day party at chuck-e cheese. i did, however, have a crush on jimmy--i think it was the british accent, if i remember correctly.

xo,

Lara

Kate said...

LOL, it's so true! I am creeped out by Chuck E. Cheese, and I hate thinking about all of the germs crawling all over that place. Whenever a niece or nephew wants to go there and we take them, I bring the big bottle of germ-x, not the little one. :)