Friday, February 19, 2010

Seriously Paris, I Can't Keep Up

So the other day when Steve got home I needed to get out on my own for a minute, so I decided to take a walk around the block. Although, in Paris, there really is no such thing, more like a walk around the triangle, or more accurately, the sorta pie shaped wedge. Anyway, I went out and I had always noticed this big, gold dome behind our house, and wondered what it was. I asked Steve, and he just shrugged, so I figured I'd go check it out.
As I walked up to it, I realized that it was Les Invalides, which includes, oh, just the Tomb of Napoleon, as in Bonaparte, as in one of the most famous leaders in the free world. And this is where I was walking to just to get some fresh air for a few minutes at the end of the day. Surreal.
Well, I got home and told Steve, so we planned a visit with the boys. And of course, I have photos for you:

The tomb of Napoleon. Quite large for a guy who was supposed to be quite small. A little short-man syndrome going on, peut-être?

Angels In The Architecture: I loved these angels that surrounded the tomb. At first glance they looked all the same, but then, on closer examination, I found that each one held different objects, their hair was different, and even the draping of their robes was a little different on each one. Amazing.

The interior of the dome.

Napoleon.

This stained glass window was all amber and absolutely glowed in the dim afternoon light. I can only imagine how it would look on a sunny day.

Probably the most amazing inlaid marble floors I've ever seen.

The courtyard, complete with cannons.

Max with some heavy artillery. Jack is missing because he decided to take a nap in the stroller, and missed all the good stuff.

That's the Eiffel Tower up in the mist in the distance. So that's in front of our apartment, and Les Invalides is behind.

I loved these teardrop shaped hedges, and the whole front garden was full of them. Together they looked like a city of aliens creeping through the foggy afternoon.

Just when I think I'm starting to get used to living in Paris, when I'm starting to stop gawking at the Eiffel Tower in our front yard every day when I walk by it, I catch a view of what's out back and I realize, I'm never going to get used to this. And I'm never going to see it all.

But believe me, I'm gonna try.

0 comments: