Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Ibiza, Chapter 15: Somewhere Between Sage and Avacado

It took me a couple of days, but I'm finally ready to talk about the exterior paint color. I obsessed with it so much the first couple of days, but I'm finally feeling comfortable with it. But talk is cheap, so here's the photos:

I'm starting out with this one because it is closest to what I imagined the color looking like. It's nice and calm, and the gray and green tie in nicely with the rocky cliffs of the mountains and the trees. It did turn out a little more yellow than we imagined it would, but I actually like it in this photo, but...

...here's what it looks like in the late afternoon sun. This is what it looked like when I saw it with the taping all taken down for the first time. It's still not terrible, but much brighter than I thought it would be.

This photo was taken at the same time in the late afternoon, but the in the shade it still looks the way I imagined it would.

And the back of the house during the late afternoon. There's a lot of trees that will be filling in soon so this will be a lot shadier than it is now, but even without them I am really starting to like the way it looks. And I'm not just saying that. Really, I'm not. Are you convinced yet? I've almost convinced myself.

So I'm getting over the shock. Here are a few things that helped:
  1. Great friends who told me it looked great while I was freaking out. Especially to Amy, who did a drive by and sent me an email to say she loved it and then let me "throw it away" with a little mental exercise before she started yoga yesterday. And then there's Trish, who also said she liked it and then shared her own horror stories of painting her house seven times before coming up with the right color. And Janell who sat and listened patiently while I was obsessing about it the other morning at Einstein's. And Mirjam, who called to see what was up after reading yesterday's post. And Alison, who emailed all the way from London after seeing the pictures to say how amazing it looks. Friends are the best stress relief ever.
  2. Finally getting a good night's sleep.
  3. Hearing how scary our budget is getting. Just got that news yesterday, which led to my unplanned closure. It's kind of like that comedy routine when someone is complaining about some little, annoying pain and someone else hits them in the head with a mallet and then says "See, now you have nothing to complain about!"
So I guess I should be thanking our contractor for hitting me upside the head with the budget because now the paint seems absolutely fabulous.

5 comments:

Take-a-Wipf said...

I love it. It does seem to fit into nature. The position and intensity of the sun change our perception of color through out the day. Personally I love the colors of nature just at the beginning of dusk. In the top photo the grey seems to about the same value as the mountain in the background. In the second photo the mountains are a little lighter and more washed out in color just like the gray in the house. I sure after all the stress of the building process goes away you will be able to love it more.

Mikilani said...

Laura, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the color. It's earthy, modern and is a perfect compliment to the red house next door. Imagine how cool your house is going to look when the green finally comes in on your trees! :)

Mikilani said...

P.S. I guess my blogger name is "Ginger"?!? This is Mikilani...

Sarah said...

Laura, another thumbs up from me. It's beautiful.
I also love your light fixture choices!

ModWalls Designer-Rebecca said...

Hi Laura-
I actually love it! Have been agonizing about color for our exterior repaint job due later this year...may have to borrow yours! Rebecca@modwalls