Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Sandwich Cookies a.k.a Satan's Oreo

A few years ago I found a lime shortbread recipe in my Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine and thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was amazed that such a rich, buttery cookie could have so much summery flavor. Then, a couple of years later, Everyday Food topped it by putting in lemon instead of lime and sandwiching two cookies together with lemony cream cheese frosting. Genius.

It's no wonder Martha rules the world.

My sister Angela was visiting this weekend and asked me for the recipe. I told her I'd put it up on my blog so she could have it, but I really wanted to share it with the world. Trust me, they are that good. They are so good that my friend Matt dubbed them "Satan's Oreo" when I took them to a barbecue a couple of years ago. In fact, these are my very favorite homemade cookie, far better than the heroin cookies in my opinion, but I guess all the addicts out there may differ with me.

Enjoy.

Lemon Sandwich Cookies

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
2 table spoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Creamy Lemon Filling (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter, confectioner's sugar, lemon zest, and salt, until combined. With mixer on low, add flour dough will still be stiff); finish mixing with a wooden spoon.
Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, pat into a disk about ½ inch thick. Wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
Unwrap dough; place on a lightly floured piece of parchment or waxed paper. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough about 1/8 inch thick (if dough cracks, let it warm up slightly).
Cut out cookies with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter (re-roll scraps once, chilling of too soft). Place 1 inch apart on two baking sheets; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until barely beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Form sandwiches: Place about 1 teaspoon Creamy Lemon Filling between two cookies, sugared sides facing out; squeeze gently.

Creamy Lemon Filling

4 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1 to 1 ½ cups confectioner's sugar

In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and zest until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup confectioner's sugar, mixing until smooth. Mix in remaining sugar as necessary to create a firm but spreadable filling.

2 comments:

Steven Ricks said...

Take it from an addict people--this is a good cookie.

The Ricks said...

All my cookies have a street name for a reason.