Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Destination Unknown

I have two words for you: Jet Lag. We just got into Paris today at 8 AM, which of course felt like about midnight to all of us. Max and Jack stayed awake for most of the flight to Paris from the states, and so as soon as they got into the cab to go to our apartment, they were fast asleep and were dead to the world when we drove past the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower.

Oh well, there's plenty of time for that.

As for me, I've been thinking about two things: Missing Persons and Harry Potter, an odd combination. First of all, the Missing Persons song "Destination Unknown" keeps running through my head, especially the lines "I don't know where to go/ I don't know what to do/and I don't even know the time of day/I guess it doesn't matter anyway." So true. Check it out:


We got here a week before the students arrived to get over this jet lag and attend to some business, and now I see why it was such a good idea. I feel like my body is here, but part of me is still home, which is where the Harry Potter comes up. I feel like splinched (a nasty side effect of apparation) and in looking up the meaning of the word, I came across this great quote from one of the books:

"Splinching, or the separation of random body parts, occurs when the mind is insufficiently determined. You must concentrate continually upon your destination, and move, without haste, but with deliberation…"
Wilkie Twycross instructing his Apparition class in 1996

It got me to wondering if it's my own lack of determinaton that's made me feel like I'm only halfway here, or just the effects of modern travel. An interesting thought, but I am determined to get all of me in one place by next week.

0 comments: