Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Walk. Work. Write.

I went to my book group last night where we were discussing the book Everyday Sacred by Sue Bender. The book talks about being open to new experiences in your own life and slowing down to enjoy the journey (among many other things).
After the group, I started thinking about a saying I once heard that said (I'm paraphrasing): to be truly happy in life, you need to do three things each day: Walk, work, and write. I can't remember who said it, but I have to say that I have really seen that it works for me, and I don't know why I've gotten away from it.
I still work (hello, I am the mother of two young children), and I write (thanks to this blog), but I don't go on walks just to walk anymore. I used to all the time, and started when I was engaged to a guy I didn't love, didn't really even like, but was planning on marrying anyway. I still am a little foggy about how it all happened, but I think it had something to do with being 24 at the time. Anyway, I was miserable, knowing what I was doing (or trying to do) was totally wrong, but being so afraid of hurting this guy's feelings that I couldn't break things off. How pathetic. Anyway, I started to walk and slowly realized all the reasons I could not marry this person, and finally ended it.
After that, I always found clarity through walks, and although I think I find some of that through yoga now, I think I'm ready to commit myself to walking on a regular basis. Just walking, with no goal but to walk. I am hoping to do it for at least fifteen minutes every day, and I am writing about it here to hold myself accountable. Although I don't have any real crisis I am working through at the moment, a little clarity is always nice. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comments:

It's Yoga Utah... said...

Inspiring (I rarely get inspired when blog stalking). Thanks for that reminder- walking really does seem to do that.