Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Alone At Last?

I'm not a spontaneous person. I'm a very organized, scheduled person. So, when Steve called me with the idea to come and meet me in California with the boys, my first reaction was to stick to the plan. But last night he called me and said Max was sad and missing me. He got on the phone and was crying and telling me how much he missed me, and when I asked him what he missed, he said, between sobs, "I miss your hugs." That was all it took. And tomorrow is Jack's birthday, so we thought it would be a great opportunity to celebrate at the beach, so they're coming over and we're spending an extra three days in California. It's gonna be a blast.

But the girls had to leave first thing this morning and so I was left with a whole day on the beach to myself. And, as you probably can imagine, being the organized, scheduled type, having a lot of free time takes a little getting used to. I got up and saw the girls off, I went on a three mile walk, I did some housework, wrapped Jack's birthday presents, walked to the grocery store, and then looked at the clock and it was noon. So, the question for the rest of the day was, "What should I do?" The sun was starting to come out, so I opted for a walk on the beach that lasted almost two hours.

There is nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, better than a leisurely walk on the beach. Well, if Steve and the boys were with me, that would be better. Being alone is great, but one day is plenty.

I guess I miss their hugs too.

0 comments: