Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Night At The Symphony

I went to the Symphony a lot when I was lived in the big city. My parents took me for the first time when I was about 10, and although I wasn't a musical type (and I'm still not), I always loved it. There's something about the music that occupies the crazy, high-strung part of my mind and lets me feel this surreal calm I don't find anywhere else. I went on many great dates there, including my first real date with Steve. Luckily, I married a musical type who wants to go even more than I do.

Last night we went for the first time in a very long time, and I still love it. And I love Symphony Hall. It just feels like home. Almost ten years ago the sculpture by Dale Chihuly in the photo was added to the lobby, and I love it. I was lucky enough to be there for the opening party when it was installed; it was a great affair with waiters running around with plates of caviar and lots of the local elite. I don't get much of that in my daily life anymore, but it was a great night for remembering all the many amazing times I had in the city.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we make it back.

0 comments: