Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kalamata & Garlic Tapenade

I went to my book group last night, and can I just say, I love my book group. I love them so much, in fact, that even though I had an insanely busy day yesterday, I took the time to make one of my new favorite things to share with them at our meeting. I had this amazing Kalamata & Garlic Tapenade at my sister Liz's house at Christmas, but since it was made by her neighbors, she had no idea how to make it. Steve loved it even more than I did, so I got online and tried to find a recipe. The first one I found was just okay, but I found a second one, and combined the two, and hit it right on. I had many of my beloved book group members ask me for the recipe last night, so here it is. I like making the crostini from whole grain bread toasted on a grill pan brushed with olive oil so it doesn't get too greasy. Enjoy.

Kalamata Olive & Garlic Tapenade

1/4 cup olive oil
14 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 cups Kalamata olives, drained and chopped

2 tablespoons capers, drained

Dash red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Dash freshly ground pepper

1 loaf fresh whole grain bread or baguette, sliced and toasted


Finely mince garlic in a food processor. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over low-medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Pulse olives, capers, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor until finely chopped and then add to garlic and heat until garlic is lightly browned, approximately 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and spoon tapenade onto whole grain bread slices or crostini. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

1 comments:

lara said...

Thank you! This was so delish. I love our book group so much, too! Thanks for inviting me.