Monday, September 29, 2008

Discomfort Zone

I was talking to a friend of mine recently who told me about an interesting way to gain more confidence in yourself. She had someone tell her that if you want to be more confident, you should do something that makes you utterly, completely uncomfortable. The example her friend used was getting onto an elevator, and instead of turning around to look at the doors like you usually would, he stands towards the back wall, facing the other people who are facing the door. If he is really pushing himself, he will actually try to make eye contact with one of the other passengers. I would be frantically pushing the button for the next floor if I was in there with him, but it makes a good point. I think if you do this exercise and find that you survive through an incredibly awkward situation, you couldn't help but feel more comfortable in your own skin.
So, I have been thinking a lot lately of what I could do that would make me absolutely squirm with discomfort. Here are some ideas:
  1. Going out wearing one of my husbands big, baggy t-shirts and a pair of Mom Jeans. I guess I fear looking like someone who has said "World, I give up."
  2. Going out in my pajama bottoms and one of my husband's big, baggy t-shirts. It is frighteningly common where I live, and says "World, I really give up. I give up so much that I can't even be bothered to get dressed in a baggy t-shirt and Mom Jeans in the morning."
  3. Not talking during awkward silences in conversations, especially with people I don't know.
  4. Voting for John McCain, but let's not get crazy here. Way too many long-term ramifications with this one.
I am not sure if I will ever do one of these things that make me cringe, but I've been thinking a lot about this question and what my "Discomfort Zone" says about me and my level of confidence.
So, I have to pose this question to you, what is something that would make you uncomfortable, and would you do it?

1 comments:

Kate said...

Ugh, for me it is making phone calls. I hate it! Adam's been helping me with it since I was 16 though, and although I am stubborn about it, I get stupidly happy when I successfully make a phone call. I'm fine calling people I'm comfortable with, but ordering take-out or calling landscapers or anything like that... eek! Isn't it silly, the things that make us squirm with discomfort?!