Thursday, September 18, 2008

Running The Gauntlet

I've always known how treacherous public elementary school is for kids. That's why I felt like my guts were getting pulled out on Max's first day of school. He's already been teased for having food on his face after lunch, had a boy tell him he definitely does not want to be his friend, and been picked on by a sociopathic bully. But I had no idea it could be equally perilous for full grown parents.
Things have been the most precarious at the pick up and drop off area at Max's school where apparently there are a lot of unwritten rules that I, a first time parent of a elementary schooler, am completely unaware of. One day a mother came barreling in like a bat out of hell and cut in front of me and about 15 other cars to get her children. I decided this was no good, and the next day I tried her little maneuver myself. When I saw Max come out, I pulled into an empty space, but for some reason that day everyone decided to pull forward, which left the back end of my car hanging out into the passing lane. I called to Max and told him to get in, but before he could, one of the pick up and drop off monitors came and totally chewed me out. According to her, you're not supposed to do that, but apparently you're just not supposed to get caught doing that.
To solve the problem I decided to get to school at least 10 minutes early. When I do this there are still lots of people there before me (the photo above was taken about 10 minutes before school let out), but there are still places near the front, so I pull around and move as far to the front as I can so I can get out of there ASAP. The other day another parent did the same thing and pulled in front of me, and all of a sudden I see another mother get out of her car, slam the door, and march up to the car in front of me and tell them to roll down the window. I had all my car windows closed, but I could still hear her yelling as she shook her finger and screamed about how she had been cut off and totally laid into the driver in front of all the kids coming out from school. It looks like I figured out where the sociopaths come from.

Ebay Update: The Casch Copenhagen sweater sold for $158.50 (and not to me)! Another one just like it was listed yesterday and is still at less than $20. It still may be mine...

1 comments:

mirjam said...

I am so sorry, Laura. You know that the whole school thing has been a horror trip for me... I finally feel at peace with the decisions we have made but it took me three years to kind of figure out things... Max is a great boy! I'm sure he will find the best of the bunch to be his best friends for life.