Saturday, December 13, 2008

Prada or Pat Boone?

I went to my monthly book group meeting the other night, and every time I go I am so incredibly happy that I know so many interesting, talented, and funny women. Each month I know I will go to this group and no matter what we are talking about, I will walk away knowing that there are at least 8-10 (and sometimes more) people in this world that feel the same way I do about almost everything. I don't know if you could actually call this month's meeting a book group since only two people had actually read the book (Sorry Deborah!), but it was, as always, a great time. Since it is Christmastime, we decided to do a silly white elephant gift exchange. These never fail to be absolutely hilarious, and this night was no exception. Here's some photos:

Sarah got to go first, so she picked the biggest, most beautifully wrapped gift. This time was an exception to the rule that "good things come in small packages," she got a Prada handbag. Okay, it was fake, but a pretty good one and a really beautiful color. Let the games begin...

Andi got to go next, and surprise, surprise, she stole the Prada purse from Sarah, so Sarah got to pick again and got the second most coveted gift of the night, a vintage copy of the book Twixt Twelve and Twenty: Pat Boone Talks To Teenagers.

I believe Andrea got the funniest gift of the evening, a partially used bottle of hand lotion and a stack of bad CDs that only a teenager from the eighties could love.


Janell got a whole menagerie of cheesy Christmas decorations...

Deborah got the ugliest necklace available from Forever 21. Yes, this is the gift I brought, but because I felt a little guilty, I also threw in a cute note pad from Snow & Graham...

Which was stolen by Lara, who tried to channel the energy of the the ugliest necklace available at Forever 21.

When it got around to Kindra's turn, she went for the Prada Bag...

Which was stolen back by Sarah (who remained victorious to the end and got to keep it)...

But then got this...

Which was stolen by Trish. I don't remember what Kindra ended up with. Leave a comment if you remember.

And Andi was the lucky girl that got to take Pat Boone home at the end of the evening.

And I bet she didn't even know that this book comes complete with it's own theme song:



As for me, I picked probably the most unique gift of the evening. A frozen Sara Lee Apple Pie, A Rin Tin Tin DVD, and a lavender scented candle from Ikea. Kindra, who brought it, tried to explain how it all made up the perfect evening, but it was a bit of a stretch. In the end, it was stolen by Deborah (I guess I deserved it for not reading the book she chose)...

And I ended up with this. I wasn't too disappointed because I knew that Max would love playing with it. When I got it home I found out that four of the months had been repeated so there was no January, February, March, or April. We improvised and wrote them on the duplicates, and Max indeed loves it.

It was such a fun evening with so many great people! Thanks for being part of the book group, and here's to another great year of getting together, and hopefully discussing a book from time to time.

2 comments:

lara said...

'twas truly tremendous!

andi said...

Who knew there was a song?!?!?! Wow, now I must read my book with the tune playing on a loop in the background. Truly a night to remember.