Monday, November 24, 2008

And The Kids Like It Too

Here I am with another recipe. I love to cook, and I have made a new vow to do more of it. Now that we are renting and have a much more minimal kitchen than we've had before, I have found that I am cooking less than I should. So, I've turned over a new leaf, and included in this change is eating dinner at the table every night instead of at the kitchen counter. Due to the changes, we're all enjoying dinner much more.
The other night I made what I think may be the only thing I know my kids will eat: Pasta with Salmon and Mint. I know it sounds fancy, but its easy to make and is equally adult and kid friendly. Here's the recipe:

Pasta with Salmon and Mint


  • 1 lb. bow tie pasta, preferably whole wheat
  • 1 ½ lbs. fresh or frozen salmon, skinless
  • zest and juice from two lemons
  • ¼ cup white wine
  • ½ lb asparagus cut in bite size pieces
  • 2 tbsp. butter 
  • ¼ cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. In the meantime, season salmon with salt and pepper and place in a shallow pan with lemon zest, juice and wine. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium-low heat for ten minutes or until salmon is opaque. Add asparagus and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until tender-crisp. Add pasta and butter to pan with salmon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh mint. Serve.

There's something about the infusion of the lemon juice with the pasta that makes the whole thing taste incredible. The kids prefer it without the mint on top, but it really makes the whole dish for me, so I just leave it off their portions. And if you need any more convincing to try this one, here's proof that (at least my) kids love it:


Really, what more can I say. Kids willingly eating fish and asparagus!
Wonders never cease!

0 comments: